March 5th, 2014
Last week I attended the Pre-Oscar event Red Carpet Green Dress hosted by Suzy Amis Cameron, wife of James Cameron. For the last five years Suzy has promoted eco and sustainable fashion with her event Red Carpet Red Dress, in support of the Muse School, a non-profit in Calabasas.
During Oscar season, the biggest question on the red carpet is always, “What Are You Wearing”? Suzy delves a little deeper, asking, ”what is what you’re wearing made of?” As a green interior designer, I can totally relate. An organic lifestyle encompasses how we furnish and maintain our homes, it’s what we eat and what we allow to touch our skin.
Speaking of skin, did you know that the skin is our biggest organ? Think about everything that touches it on a daily basis like clothes, bedding, bath linens, moisturizers, lotions, hair and make-up products. Is the fabric your clothing is made of loaded with formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals that are dumped into a waterway during manufacturing process? Or is it made of organic materials in a conscious and sustainable way? Suzy and I prefer the latter.
Lori Dennis and SoCal Contractor
Have I been in Hollywood too long or does everyone love walking the red carpet and snapping some shots at the step & repeat? Here I am with SoCal Contractor at the event, held at the Palihouse in West Hollywood.
Now let’s talk about the coveted, Oscar Swag Bags. They are sooooo much better than anything we see in the design world! (I know, I know, a few more people are paying attention to the Oscars than the Golden Nugget Design Awards.) These Swag Bags were especially great because the contents were 100% in line with my philosophy and green aesthetic. You know me, when I see a good thing I gotta share, so here’s a snap shot of what was included:
More info on the awesome products:
Lux and Eco
For those who live a holistic and sustainable lifestyle, Lux and Eco has curated a wide assortment of eco-friendly products and services including fashion, health & beauty, lifestyle, home and garden, pets, tech, gourmet food and vintage pieces. Each product is hand selected for its environmental commitment and high ethical standards. Jacquelyn Willard hand selected the vendors who participated, including me as the green interior designer, and let me tell you, this woman knows quality.
1st goodie: Non-toxic candles. What’s great about Linnea’s Lights is that they’re made of soy, come in so many beautiful scents and is packaged in recycled materials with a gorgeous hand stamp. My favorite part was lifting the lid to find a matchbox attached inside! Clever. Included in the bags was Sea Salt, a calming aquatic blend of sea salt, briny sea moss, and fresh citrus. So fresh and so clean!
Under the Canopy
2. A great shirt with a great message. Under the Canopy uses innovative organic and sustainable textiles in the highest quality. So soft. So comfortable. So cool! Anyone who drives into Palm Springs from LA will recognize the windmill farm.
3. A rosemary gift card for a free in home gourmet meal. Are you hungry? I am just by looking at all the delicious food from Haute Chefs. These guys offer their culinary service delivery that is custom to your taste, schedule and health goals. Like me, they believe that time and health are the true luxuries in life and they are here to help. They also have full-service catering, consulting and cooking classes. Sign me up!
Veev Vita Frute
4. Cocktails – a full sized bottle! Veev Vita Frute cocktails are organic and made with the superfruit Acai. Our bags contained margarita, made with premium tequila, all natural juices and agave nectar. They’re not only low-cal but are pretty tasty too AND they’re the world’s first carbon neutral spirit. Cheers to that!
5. Wash cloths. If you’re looking for super soft, organic bedding and bath linens, look no further! Portico not only offers great colorways, but they use sustainable materials like Organic Cotton, Eucalyptus, Recycled plastic bottles, non-toxic dyes and finishes in all their products. They never bleach with chlorine, their linens are free of toxic heavy metals, formaldehyde and added scents, and there is no PVC in their packaging. Pretty clean!
Harney and Sons
6. Fancy Ice Tea. Delicious and full of flavor, family owned and operated Harney and Sons create over 200 varieties of high quality organic teas. We’re constantly drinking tea in our office and this is a fantastic addition to our day!
I am : Enlighted Creations
7. Energy Drinks. Drawing from the classical wisdom of Ayerveda and Chinese Medicine, I AM Enlighted Creations offers a blend of Mind | Body | Spirit elixers, supplements and mists filled with nutrient-dense blend of botanicals, vitamins, minerals and amino acids. The I AM HAPPY elixer has Pharrell’s song stuck in my head – which is great for self talk!
8. Eyeshadow. I think about make-up a lot and what we are ingesting on our lips, absorbing into our skin and what can potentially get in our eyes. Modern Minerals is 100% cruelty-free and made in the USA. Big words to avoid in your ingredients are Parabens, Aluminum, Carmine and Phthalates – this product is free of those nasty chemicals and additives and is also vegan friendly. Their philosophy is “Beauty” that is conscious of the earth and compassionate towards animals. Words that sing to my heart.
9. Granola. I adore the name, probably because it’s my daughter’s! Not only is Purely Elizabeth granola organic, vegan and gluten-free, made with pure and simple ingredients (that you can pronounce!) but their mission is to better the health of the community both small and large and support sustainable farming practices. I love the Pumpkin Fig made with organic quinoa, amaranth and chia!
10. Original Art. Root Woven Brochure covers by Machilla Magic are hand-made by a community of family artists in Mozambique . 95% of their products are made from recycled materials and all work under the Fair Trade system.
11. Reusable dry cleaning bags. Be Fantastic! Use less plastic! The Green Garmento has a great product that reduces the use of those thin plastic dry-cleaning bags and replacing it with a reusable bag instead. And remember – No Wire Hangers EVER!
I had a great time at this event and was more than happy to donate my services to the auction. I hope it helps raise money and awareness that healthy living is not about sacrifice! It’s attainable and LUXE if you just think about products you buy for your home and self.
Big thanks to Lux&Eco and Suzy Cameron!
Posted in Accesories, Artists and Galleries, Charities, Events, Green Living, Parties | Leave a Comment »