Summer is here, can you believe it? So let’s talk Home Trends! We’ve have a lot on our plates this year, and we’re longing to surround ourselves in calm and visually soothing spaces, similar to what we’d find in nature. This year’s Interior Design Trends for 2020 are guiding us toward a clean and natural home that is peaceful, restorative and functional.
WHAT ARE THE 2020 INTERIOR DESIGN TRENDS?
We’re going back to basics, people! Simple. Natural. And no Fuss.
Our home has taken on many roles these days, and in the end we’re hoping to turn it into a source of calm in the middle of a storm. Recently, we gave New Home Source a sneak peak into what we see as Interior Design Trends for the Summer, and we would love to expand on what we envision will continue throughout the year and into the next.
Photo Credit: Bradley Bayou Design
Photo Credit: CB2
WHAT IS THE NEXT TREND IN HOME DECOR IN 2020?
1. ORGANIC MODERN
Surrounding yourself in natural elements is not only soothing to your eyes, but automatically relaxes your nervous system. Simplifying our home is incredibly calming because it gives us a blank canvas to rest our eyes. Ok, so minimal right? Well, sorta. Modern Design can often have a reputation of feeling cold, sterile and boring.
Bring on Organic Modern! It takes all the simplicity and beauty of modern design, and adds a warm softness to it that feels light and fresh. Of course, when you’re ready for a change, having a neutral background will set you up for success no matter the direction you go.
WHAT IS ORGANIC MODERN STYLE?
Organic Modern design style is a balance of crispy clean backdrop with the addition of natural materials, along with softer shapes, natural colors and materials.
To update your space, think about selecting furniture, accessories, lighting or materials like:
- Organic Shapes like Circles, Oblong, Free-Form
- Softer Edges and Curves
- Subtle Texture
- Natural Colors like Earth Tones
- Organic Materials that you’d find in nature.
- Handmade Items like Accessories, Serveware, Art or Rugs
- Contrast: Smooth and Textured, Light and Dark, Soft and Hard, Dull and Bright, Arches and Geometric Designs, Masculine and Feminine, Raw and Refined.
WHAT ARE THE INTERIOR COLORS FOR 2020?
2. NEUTRAL COLORS
Neutral colors are a soft and subtle version of earth tones, and are easy to work with because they all go together beautifully and can easily stand on their own. And again, they’re a perfect backdrop for when you decide to change your space in the future.
DESIGN TIP: Select all large furniture items in a neutral, like a sofa or bed. Neutrals are classic and will never go out of style.
Examples of Neutral Colors are:
- Bone Whites (with a grey putty undertone)
- Sandy Taupe or Beige
- Light Heather Grey
- Charcoal Grey
- Tan or Brown
- Accent Colors in Blues and Greens
Neutral Colors and Natural Materials
WHAT MATERIALS ARE ON TREND FOR 2020?
3. NATURAL EARTHY MATERIALS
There’s nothing more authentic and down to earth than using natural materials in the home. It’s comfortable, approachable and easy to maintain, especially when you just let it be. Any sign of wear and tear is evidence of a life well lived! So find your peace and embrace the imperfection.
HOW CAN I BRING NATURAL AND ORGANIC ELEMENTS INTO MY INTERIOR?
Introduce these elements into your home for a natural look and feel:
- Light and Warm Woods
- Metals like Steel, Iron or Gold
- Ceramics, Pottery and Porcelain
- Beautiful Stone Tile and Striking Slabs
- Something Handmade
- Wovens like Jute, Rattan, Cane, Wicker, Grasscloth, Bamboo
- Nubby Textiles like Boucle, Velvet, Linen, Organic Cotton and Soft Sheers for Drapery
Photo Credit: Luigi Rosselli
Photo Credit: Cazarina
Photo Credit: Sara Hogen Photography
Photo Credit: MKoncept
WHAT ARE THE TOP HEALTH HOME TRENDS FOR 2020?
4. HEALTHY AT HOME
This year, health has been on the top of everyone’s mind, along with trying to manage living so many aspects of our life inside the home. We’re asking a lot of these 4 walls, a roof and foundation. Our homes are where we are eating, entertaining, working, exercising, educating, and resting. To top it off, we’re focusing a lot of our energy on keeping a ultra clean and safe environment.
HOW CAN I IMPROVE MY WELLNESS AT HOME?
Ways to make your home safe and healthy:
- Use Non-Toxic Cleaning Products.
(For more tips on reducing from your home, and ways to clean without nasty chemicals, check out our previous posts on TOXINS TO ELIMINATE FROM YOUR HOME and BEST BUDGET & ECO FRIENDLY SOAPS AND CLEANERS)
- Eat Organic Foods (CONSIDER A PLANT BASED DIET) or Plant an Edible Garden.
- Whole House Water Filter.
- Home Spa for Ultimate Relaxation. (Tips to create a Zen Home HERE)
- Far Infrared Sauna with Chroma/Light Therapy and Aroma Therapy.
- Home Gym.
- Quality Mattress that breathes easy and supports your body for 8 hours a day.
(See 5 WAYS TO STRESS LESS & SLEEP MORE)
- HEPA Air Filter for HVAC.
- Dry and Mold Free.
- Open Windows for Fresh Breezes and Ventilation.
- Whole House Audio System for Music.
- Dim the Lights.
- Plants. (Tips to Keep Your Houseplants Alive, HERE and HERE)
Photo Credit: John Pawson for Ian Schrager
Photo Credit: Schmidinger – Wintergärten, Verglasungen & Überdachungen
WHAT ARE THE LIFESTYLE TRENDS FOR 2020?
5. INDOOR OUTDOOR LIVING
Indoor Outdoor living can be created by blending the living spaces to create a smooth flow inside and out. It’s a seamless transition of not knowing where one space ends and another begins.
Create an Indoor Outdoor Lifestyle with:
- Expanded Interior Living Space to Outdoor Patio or Backyard.
- Outdoor Dining.
- Nano, Pocket or Accordion Doors Expanding the Living Space to the Outdoors.
- Bringing the Outdoors In.
- Add Plants and Sculptures.
- Botanical or Animal Inspired Wallpaper.
Photo Credit: Architectural Digest (Rubber Tree)