Fall is the season that instantly makes us want to feel warm and cozy. And we want our homes to reflect the same kind of ambiance. With a subtle addition of a few items, you can create a space that exudes the essence of autumn. Let’s dive into these fall decor elements that help to decorate your home style with timeless elegance this season.
Fall Decor to Enhance Your Home
With a Rich and Timeless Elegance
This fall, elevate your home with the depth of autumn colors. As a neutral base, embrace a palette of warmer, inviting colors to transform your space into a cozy haven. To make any room feel more rich, simply take your existing spring or summer color scheme down a notch. For example, Bright Yellow turns to Honey Caramel or Golden Amber, Light Grey becomes a Smokey Charcoal, and crispy White is now Beige Oatmeal.
Don’t be afraid to introduce new neutral colors into your existing home decor. Browns are back, big time. Decadent Chocolate Brown exudes sophistication, and Rusty Copper accents infuse any room with rustic charm. For more bold colors, we love how Mossy Green brings the outdoors in. Deep purples like Eggplant and Plum are making a comeback and add a regal touch, while Deep Red ignites warmth and passion.
Lighter and complimentary accent colors offer a delicate balance to darker shades. In rugs, fabrics, upholstery, drapes and wallpaper, you’ll notice sweet touches of sage green, light sky blue, blush, or peachy pink. Of course, adding black accents to any room instantly feels more modern and grounding. Add black to home decor items like light fixtures, cabinetry or mirrors.
WHAT COLORS ARE BEST FOR FALL HOME DECOR?
- Honey Caramel: Warm and inviting, this color adds a touch of sweetness to your space.
- Smokey Charcoal: Use charcoal as a grounding color to balance the warmth of other shades.
- Chocolate Brown: Rich and decadent, brown adds depth and sophistication.
- Rusty Copper: Incorporate copper accents for a touch of rustic charm.
- Mossy Green: Bring the outdoors in with earthy green tones.
- Birch White: Crisp white provides a clean contrast to the other colors.
- Eggplant and Plum: These deep purples add a regal touch.
- Deep Red: A classic fall color that brings warmth and passion.
- Golden Amber: Mimic the colors of falling leaves with this vibrant hue.
- Oatmeal: A neutral base that complements the other colors perfectly.
- Accent Colors: To add depth and contrast, use accent colors like black, sage green, light sky blue, blush, or peachy pink sparingly.
HOW CAN I ADD COLOR TO MY HOME FOR FALL?
- Pillows and Throw Blankets
- Kitchen Linens like a Tablecloth, Napkins and Hand Towels
- Bathroom Linens like Bath Towels and Hand Towels or Throw Rug at the Vanity
- Decorative Accents like Vases, Candles and
- Add Decorative Elements to Front Door, Fireplace Mantel, Dining Table or Entry Table
- Swap Out Wall Art
Infuse your fall-themed design with a touch of tradition to evoke a sense of history and comfort. Don’t be afraid to use the finer things this fall. Elevate your dining experience by setting the table with elegant china, silverware, and glassware, creating a warm and welcoming formality. Look for furniture with a bit more detail, like classic turned legs to bring a timeless charm to your space.
For added romance and ambiance, decorate surfaces like the fireplace mantel, bookshelves or dining table, with tapered candles in brass or silver candleholders. To really elevate the elegance, opt for crystal or vintage-inspired glassware, adding a sophisticated and timeless flair to your decor.
How Can I add Traditional Fall Decor to My Home?
- Full Table Settings: Set your dining table with elegant china, silverware, and glassware to create a sense of formality.
- Turned Legs on Furniture: Look for furniture with classic turned legs for a timeless look.
- Tapered Candles: Place tapered candles in brass or silver candle holders for a touch of romance.
- Beautiful Glassware: Crystal or vintage-inspired glassware adds a touch of elegance to your décor.
Geometric patterns offer a contemporary twist to your fall decor, infusing your space with a fresh sense of style. Envision the cozy, rustic ambiance created by incorporating tartan or plaid throw blankets and table runners.
To craft visual intrigue, adorn your furnishings with check or stripe patterns on cushions or curtains. For a modern edge, opt for geometric-printed throw pillows or artwork that adds a touch of sophistication to your autumn-inspired design.
Elevate your fall decor with a touch of contemporary flair through geometric patterns.
Picture the cozy, rustic charm of tartan or plaid throw blankets and table runners transforming your space. Infuse visual intrigue by adorning your furnishings with check or stripe patterns on cushions or curtains.
For a modern edge and a touch of sophistication, consider geometric-printed throw pillows or artwork. These subtle yet impactful additions will breathe new life into your autumn-inspired design.
What Patterns Are Popular in Fall Home Decor?
- Tartan or Plaid: Incorporate plaid throw blankets or table runners for a cozy, rustic feel.
- Checks and Stripes: Use cushions or curtains with check or stripe patterns to create visual interest.
- Geometric Accents: Opt for geometric-printed throw pillows or artwork to introduce a contemporary edge.
Set the perfect mood for your space by mastering the art of lighting. Swap out harsh white bulbs for soft amber ones, casting a warm and cozy glow throughout. Install dimmer switches to have complete control over the lighting, allowing you to adapt it to the moment’s mood.
Incorporate tapered candles in various sizes to introduce a flickering and intimate ambiance, transforming your space into a welcoming haven.
If you’re looking for even more lighting inspiration for the home, we wrote a great guide on How to Light Your Home in Style.
How Do You Make Your Home Cozy for Fall?
- Amber Light Bulbs: Replace harsh white bulbs with soft amber ones for a cozy glow.
- Dimmers: Install dimmer switches to adjust the lighting to match the mood.
- Tapered Candles: Use candles in various sizes to create a flickering, intimate ambiance.
NATURAL MATERIALS & TEXTURES
Transform your home into a cozy autumn retreat by embracing the beauty of the natural world. Infuse your space with the organic charm of natural stone and wood accents, bringing the essence of the outdoors indoors.
Elevate your decor by incorporating twigs, branches, pine cones, and leaves as decorative elements. Add character to your space with slightly worn or distressed furniture pieces.
To enhance comfort and warmth, opt for textures like nubby, thicker woven fabrics such as wool or tweed, and introduce plush materials like velvet and cashmere, creating an inviting haven that captures the essence of fall.
How Do You Decorate a Home for Fall?
Embrace the beauty of the natural world to make your home feel like an autumn retreat:
- Natural Stone and Wood: Incorporate stone accents and wooden furniture to bring nature indoors.
- Natural Decor: Use twigs, branches, pine cones, and leaves as decorative elements.
- Animal Elements: Invite the wild indoors and find animal decor in lamps, fabrics, accent tables or other decorative items.
- Distressed Furniture: Opt for slightly worn or distressed furniture pieces to add character.
- Textures: Choose nubby, thicker woven fabrics like wool or tweed, and incorporate plush materials like velvet and cashmere for added comfort.
By combining these elements of rich colors, traditional style, geometric patterns, mood lighting, and natural materials, you can create a home that’s ready to embrace the beauty and warmth of fall. So, bring out your inner decorator and let the season inspire your creativity as you transform your living space into a cozy autumn retreat. Happy decorating!
GREEN INTERIOR DESIGN
How to Achieve Style and Sustainability
Green Interior Design is the most comprehensive guide to sustainable building, designing, and decorating on the market. This beautifully illustrated guide covers every detail of your home—from the drywall to the finial on the curtain rod—and how to find the most environmentally friendly versions of products and décor. This second edition of Green Interior Design is meant as much for the budget DIYer as it is for the luxury homebuilders looking to dip their toes into sustainability.
FALL DECOR: HOW TO DECORATE YOU HOME IN STYLE